…….by Karen Lane.
We are hoping that as and when Linqs members start making their David Hockney inspired quilts, they will photograph the various stages of construction and share them with others via this blog. They don’t have to be finished to appear on here, they can be at any stage, or better still shown at various stages.
To start us off, in this post I am showing how one of my mini quilts is developing.
My inspiration was the 1954 mixed media self-portrait showing Hockney as a young man. I liked the composition and colours and felt that the collage style would lend itself to an appliqué quilt. I immediately knew that this was something I would like to base one of my quilts on. I also knew that for me to be happy with the finished work I would need to bring him forward to the 1960’s in order to create the more iconic Hockney image with blond hair and more rounded specs.
Having found a suitable image of his face to copy I began by sketching it out and when I was happy with it I transferred it onto cream cotton fabric using a black Inktense pencil.
The next stage was to build up shadows using organza and I lightly bonded this in place with my soldering iron. For the blond hair I traced the outline of his hair onto water-soluble stabiliser and put this into an embroidery hoop. Using a free machine embroidery foot I worked the thread back and forth on the stabiliser in the direction the hair would normally lay in. Once I was happy with the shape I rinsed the stabiliser away with tepid water leaving just the “hair”.
For several weeks I had searched fabric shops and the internet for “newsprint” fabric for the background of my piece. Hockney had used a page from the Times and I was originally intending to do the same. Problem was I struggled to find a page without a colourful ad or something else I really didn’t want on it. It was while shopping in B&Q I saw the “newsprint” wallpaper which was ideal as it suggested newsprint without having any distracting text or images on it.
The final two photos show the body taking shape. I cut out the basic shape on lightweight vilene and appliquéd the shirt and jacket to it and attached the tie at the knot. I gave him a flowery shirt as this is the 1960’s! The scarf has been wet felted using Merino wool and is yet to be sewn on. I am now at the stage where I need to start quilting. My middle layer will be thin, probably 80/20 wadding as I have quite a bit of this, but with lots of other projects on the go it may be put off for a few more weeks!